By: Sarah Federico, Beauty and Lifestyle Writer
It’s day who-can-even-remember of self-quarantine. And if you’re anything like us, by this point, you’ve got roots that are unapologetically reminding you of how long it’s been since you last saw your stylist.
In comparison to the COVID-19 health crisis, this might seem minor. But when you’re trying to maintain some sense of normalcy, this highly visible reminder of your current circumstances can serve as one more thing to make you feel upended.
Nevertheless, we’re proud to say that we’re on team never-dye-your-hair-at-home. Luckily, there are plenty of alternatives that can hide growing roots in a pinch. From purse-friendly sprays to powders that work remarkably like a bronzer, we’ve rounded up the top-6 root touch-up products on the market.
1. Bumble and Bumble Bb. Color Stick. This twist up crayon boasts multi-tasking benefits: A mess-free formula for easy application, water resistant color that won’t budge or smudge, plus root touch-ups and color pops. The natural shades are perfect for covering greys, refreshing roots and filling in sparse spaces, the highly pigmented hues deliver customizable pops of color. Use the portable pencil, wherever, whenever – no dry time required.
2. Oribe Airbrush Root Touch-Up Spray. Root touch up products like this one do more than hide silver strands and grown out highlights –they’re also useful for creating the illusion of thicker and more lustrous hair. Ask any celebrity stylist and they’ll tell you: most celebrity clients use powders and sprays to thicken their hairline, pandemic or no. Oribe’s root concealer is perfect for doing exactly that.
3. Goldwell Dualsenses Color Revive Root Retouch Powder. Instant cult-classic: From the ultra-convenient mirror tucked just under the lid, to the perfect powder formula available in six color-matched shades, this low-mess formula tops our list of our favorites. The powder blends perfectly into existing color, while absorbing oil – for total refreshed hair vibes.
Your secret to perfect hair between salon visits … Dualsenses Color Revive Root Retouch Powders.
Posted by Goldwell US on Monday, November 18, 2019
4. R+Co Bright Shadows Root Touch-Up Spray. Give roots the boot. This breakthrough root touch-up spray instantly covers regrowth, grey or otherwise, between color appointments – minus stickiness and color transfer. Featuring a target actuator for mess-free application, seven multi-dimensional shades provide budge-free coverage that will last until your next shampoo.
5. KEVIN.MURPHY RETOUCH.ME. Perfect for on-the-go application, this simple to use spray is available in four hues, delivering perfect tonal results. Touting micro-fine pigments which blend seamlessly with your existing shade to conceal root growth, plus a satin finish and a fine mist spray. The results are lightweight, fast drying and completely discreet. Just shake, mist and conceal. Allow the product to dry before touching.
6. Goldwell Dualsenses Color Revive Conditioners. Some of us are consumed by the unsightly appearance of our root growth. But others still are feeling forlorn over locks that, once vibrant, have become dull and lackluster. Luckily, we’ve discovered a way to refresh and intensify salon color at home (while perfectly conditioning strands). Color Revive Color Giving Conditioners combines technologies to provide quick and even color distribution – for optimal care and color refreshment.
Living with hair that looks and feels past its prime can underscore already-existing stress. But we promise, your patience will be rewarded – and your stylist will thank you – for not going off the rails and reaching for off the shelf box color. So, as you patiently count the days until you can book your next salon color service, these top-6 root concealing products have got you covered – literally.